I want to announce that the official main page of the project is now hosted under https://noteself.org
I owned the noteself.org domain for some time now, since the inception of this forum.
The objective was to have an easy to remember URL for the forum, and I think it is.
The thing is that NoteSelf project is way older than this domain, and it lived under github subdomain since it’s inception.
Recently someone pointed out that it is weird to have the forum at
forum.noteself.org but nothing at the root
noteself.org and I agree.
So I think it is time to move NoteSelf main page to a more appropriate place: https://noteself.org
Well, I can outline some reasons apart from the mentioned one:
- I have learnt a lot about servers and DNS in the recent years, so I feel more confident about having both the main page and the forum under the same domain
- The project is more mature, but having it under a github subdomain makes it feel less serious
- I still use every day, but recently I started using it on more devices/computers, therefore I got tired tired of typing such a large URL, so I decided that I want a shorter one
How does this affect me?
- The obvious thing is that you can now use noteself.org instead of the larger noteself.github.io. You don’t need to update your bookmarks or change your notes, the old URL will still be valid and accessible
- An indirect consequence is that you may get redirected from noteself.github.io to noteself.org
- If you are using your own couchdb server and you want to connect to it using the new URL you may need to include the new domain on your CORS configuration. If you are using
*then no change is required
Did I lost my data!
A direct consequence of the above and a reported problem is that when you navigate to an edition (ex noteself.github.io/gsd5) you may get redirected to the same URL under the new domain (noteself.org/gsd5).
This is a problem because your stored data is associated to the domain you use to access the application, so you will not see any of your data. Don’t panic!! Your data is still there. You can navigate to noteself.github.io/online and verify that your data is accessible. From there you can export your data, navigate to the new domain and import it.
If you have sync to a remote server configured this is not needed, and all you need is to navigate to the new url login, and done!
Hope you enjoy the new shorter, easier to remember URL!!